CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chandni Chowk to China

First things first. The first full promo gave me hints about the confusion in the film. And after a first few not-so-encouraging reviews, I lost whatever expectations I had from the film what-so-ever (they still existed due to the names of Shridhar Raghavan and Nikhil Advani in the crew)
So by that context, Chandni Chowk is not so much of a letdown anyways. I knew what I was going in for.
However, when I realised how nice the story was actually, It really pissed off to see the virtual mess they’d created of it as the film moved on.

Honestly, I don’t mind nonsense. I can take the most unbelievable of action scenes, but they (along with the rest of the narrative) must be done with honest intentions.
The biggest problem with CC2C is, it doesn’t know what it wants to do. I quite enjoyed the first half. For all its silly antics, It did tickle my funny bone. And after 20 years of tolerating hindi film's most typical drama, I was pleasantly surprised by how nicely Akshay reacted in Mithun’s death scene.

But then, He talks about A Bruce lee’s mother in every Indian kitchen, and all kinds of round objects like Eggs, – just to refer to an unmentionable place of our body.
I couldn’t believe the same guy wrote Khakee and Bluffmaster. Or the same guy directed Kal Ho Naa ho (or did he ??)


Coming to the better parts, I really liked the Ad Spoof scene as much as Akki’s dance in the gadget dance. But when it comes to not-so-light scenes where the film takes itself seriously, We’re forced not to.

Akki is loud, he makes stupid faces, he says his lines in the silliest of manners – but he still makes us laugh. That’s his power today. But its high time he uses this power for better roles which help me grow as an actor.

There’re so many huge jumpcuts in the story, that Your mind starts looking for a reason by itself. Its an out ‘n’ out masala film, no doubts. But There are better ways to execute it. Tashan and Jhoom Barabar Jhoom are really two better examples in case.

Nothing else is worth a mention, except for the hi-fi action sequences which I honestly speaking didn’t mind watching. Wish most of it was as exciting.

0 comments: